Saturday, June 22, 2013

Thank you, bike.

It's opening night. I'm about to head out to do things like pick up extra ipods, tie little strings around scrolls, and hide everything everywhere. But I wanted to leave you with this sestina.

It's not the best poem ever, and it's not really related to the show; it's actually about my bike.

But my bike's in the show too, you know, and sometimes my bike and I don't really understand one another, sometimes my bike drives me nuts in fact, like right now the fender's bent funny for no reason and it makes this awful squawking sound -- but it's my bike, and when I forget where I parked it, or someone tries to hit it, or I leave it in the basement all winter, I kind of lose my shit.

So I just wanted to say, thank you, bike.

And while I'm at it, thanks to everyone that appears in this show: characters, co-creators, small children battling in the parking lot across the street who pause to watch me kind of lose my shit once a night.


sestina for my bicycle

Tonight I arrived
in a rush
much too slow, much delayed
to see the glint of your crooked tire
half a block away, the sweet solemnity of the post,
around which, your inevitable twist.

Do I myself twist
that way? Well, could I arrive
any other way?  Without abandoning my post,
could you rush
into my vision, my tired
spinning?  What was it that was delayed?

If I delay
the answer, the question seems to twist
around a great turning wheel, an abandoned tire.
As soon as I arrive
at the top, I rush
back to the bottom, hesitant to post

A reply, hesitant to post
another question even, afraid that, in the delay,
the gap or synapse, you will rush,
your grip will twist,
making impossible, without departure, an arrival.
I shuffle my feet, made slow next to your reeling tires.

I walk faster; I grow tired.
I leave you locked to the post,
find that I arrive
anyway, was only delayed,
not made impossible, requiring only a twist
in the schedule, is it so hard to rush?

Is all you make capable, even, rushing?
With each turn of your tires,
am I not twisting
my own?  At your post,
alone, do you not serve a purpose?  Serve to delay,
or perhaps allay my fear of returning home alone, a singular arrival?

Half a block away from the post, I stand as your tires
grin lopsided.  I delay my smile, my face a twist.
How is it I rush, yet you arrive?


So Cruel: a sibling serenade
will premiere as part of the SoLow Festival
June 20-30, 2013
To reserve tickets, email socruelphilly@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment