Monday, June 10, 2013

On working outside

The weather being what it is today (please click that link. please.), I'd like to talk about what's it's like to work outside on a site specific show.

Awful.

Okay, and also fun and wild and inspiring. But here are some things we've encountered so far:


  • A really psyched dude from the 7-11 who recognized us from multiple neighborhood skulkings, and wants to bring his young daughter. The reply from Liz (my wonderful director): "Well, there are no bad words." Meanwhile, I'm stuck in a loop on the island in the middle of the street, because someone is supposed to be cueing me here.
  • An equally miffed dude on South Hancock -- who I presume thought Liz and I were hooligans (to be fair, we had slurpees, and were maybe hovering near his stoop) -- who just kept saying, "Is everything okay? I just want to make sure everything's okay." Liz's (later) reaction: "I'm pretty sure we're older than him anyway!"



Liz, you may want to start a support group with Meg over the things I reference in my blorgs. May I suggest meeting at Watkins?

  • A magnificent walk-through in the rain, and I mean RAIN, last Friday, because we had to get it in before Liz left for the week, and also because WE ARE BADASS.
  • A group of actual hooligans (read: teenagers) who smoke up in the park where I have to do my crazy dance. We basically try to out-posture each other: they talk about who rolls the sexiest blunts, I leap on toadstools and do dance moves from the 29-minute-workout.

Speaking of, tomorrow's rehearsal is all about the dance moves. I even have a movement consultant! You'll hear all about her after tomorrow, believe me.

Sarah, there's a regular meeting at Watkins you might want to sign up for.



So Cruel: a sibling serenade
will premiere as part of the SoLow Festival
June 20-30, 2013
To reserve tickets, email socruelphilly@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Definitely unique to do something site specific and outdoors.

    You are awesome my friend.

    ReplyDelete