Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Selected Annotated Bibliography for The True Story

You've already heard me rant and rave about Junot Diaz and Margaret Atwood, but there are some other writers who've been influential, instrumental, and essential (you see what I did there?) in different ways throughout this piece and this process.  Some notes on them below, and a special thank you to all the folks who've connected me to all this wonderful writing.

  

Amy Fusselman

A friend of mine said The True Story reminded him of Fusselman's work and lent me a copy of The Pharmacist's Mate.  I was floored.  Her writing is sparse and lovely and I am so goddamn glad I found it.  But also, she gave me the courage to call what I was doing memoir or nonfiction.  I was so confused by my own format, and so used to a certain other format and tone in memoir, that I didn't even know what to call it.  In fact, I used The True Story to apply to fiction writing programs, which made absolutely no sense, and I'm sure is just part of the reason I got thirteen rejections.  But when I read Fusselman's work, I knew I had found a comrade, a home, a genre.


Jo Ann Beard

As noted in an earlier post, I brought The True Story to the Rutgers Camden Summer Writing Conference, where I got some great feedback (and good laughs).  James Marcus led the workshop for my story, and when I asked him where I could find similar writing, he emailed me with a list of fun folks, including Beard.  I devoured The Boys of My Youth in a car ride to Rhode Island, then read the title story a second time on the drive home.  The way she pops in and out of time is fascinating.  She narrates her process in a way that just makes sense to me: sometimes you can't you write about something without writing about writing about it.


David Ives

Ives was recommended by another friend and reader of The True Story.  I'm not a huge script-reader (I often forget to read the speakers' names, which can be, uh, confusing), but I borrowed her copy of All in the Timing.  It's hard to make a direct connection with this one; I love the way Ives crafts a clever, active game out of a simple exchange of words, but I don't use a lot of dialogue in my own work.  The closest I can get is with Sure Thing, where a man and woman meet at a cafe and have to restart their conversation repeatedly until they get to the (over-the-top) happy ending.  Hashing it out over and over, through the fake and the real, until you end up unsure of which is which, and which you even want, is something I can definitely relate to.



The True Story, or Vicious & Multiple & Untrue After All will premiere as part of First Person Arts RAW at the First Person Arts Festival (November 8-17, 2012).

No comments:

Post a Comment