Saturday, October 20, 2012

I've got something sweet for you & I don't care if it is more than you deserve

I'm in need of a few reminders today:
  1. In fiction and in nonfiction, characters are not people.  And vice versa.
  2. Figuring it out is not the same as forgiving.  Although lord do they both take work.
  3. I do what is right for me, and I always have the power and option to change my mind.  (Infinite thanks, Coach.)
With that, another excerpt.  Fun fact: this one was written somewhat separately from the rest of The True Story, and almost didn't make it in.  Thank god for experimental what-the-heck moments.



***

SARA M:
I walk into my apartment, and there is a character sitting at my kitchen table.

“You’re not real,” I say.

BRIE:
“But I was,”

SARA M:
he replies.

“Yes, until I wrote you.  Then you became fic-tion-al.”

LISA:
“You always were hyper-rational.”

SARA M:
“You see?  Now hyper-rational is my word.  You would have said robot.  You did say robot.”

SARA GC:
“Did you . . . misrepresent me then?  Did you write me wrong?  Why did I say hyper-rational, if I should have said robot?”

SARA M:
I brace myself on the kitchen counter, counting slowly, silently to ten.  I only get to five.  His hand is on my shoulder.

“You know,” I gulp, “I’ve been through this before.  We’ve been through this before.  I know this will go away eventually.”

He brushes his fingers lightly across the back of my neck.

I let him take my shoulder, lead me back to the table.

I start to write.


 The True Story, or Vicious & Multiple & Untrue After All will premiere as part of First Person Arts RAW at the First Person Arts Festival (November 8-17, 2012).

No comments:

Post a Comment