Thursday, August 15, 2013

On King

I recently made a big change to my original Fundamental Frequencies story by grafting a whole other character onto it. To give you a glimpse, dear Reader:

There are three things you should know about King:

  1. King is a character.
  2. King’s character is based on someone I used to know.
  3. King’s character is also based on me.

. . .

Okay, and:
  4. In real life, King wasn't even in this story. I've just got two stories to tell, three if you count the dog, and I think it’s important you hear them all, all at once.

This story has existed without King for a few years now, way before King even existed. So why just plop him in, however gracefully and artistically?
  1. My writing in Fundamental Frequencies is super vague, whereas my writing about King is crisper, more traditional-short-story-feeling. Hopefully, it'll give you something to hold onto while the rest of the story is swirling around.

  2. I'm not calling this non-fiction, and I'm also not calling it fiction. The feelings are true, but it's definitely not factual. King doesn't even belong in this story as far as facts are concerned. But I really hate that divide. It's one of the things I envy about music: no one makes you label songs as fiction or not fiction. (Unless of course you're Taylor Swift, and we're not even going into that right now.)

  3. I've been writing a lot about King lately, and I'm not quite ready to stop.

  4. After a year or so, it apparently becomes confusing to refer to a person as New Boy. Also after a year or so, if you cross me, you're probably gonna find yourself on stage. Don't worry, boo. You know I call dibs on super villain in all my work.


Fundamental Frequencies
will premiere as part of the Blueprint Breakout Series
October 28 & 29, 2013
tickets available at the door

No comments:

Post a Comment