Saturday, September 28, 2013

Real photographers use gourds

This week, the fabulous JJ Tiziou joined us for some photo fun. It's a little scary committing to promo images when you're still not quite sure what the show is, let alone looks like, which made me especially happy to be working with JJ.

If you're not familiar with his work, I'm gonna start you off with Everyone is Photogenic. It's his mantra, one of his big projects, and his current fundraising campaign to save the world. Maybe I shouldn't be highlighting someone else's crowdsourcing campaign while I've got my own going on (ahem), but stay with me - it's relevant.

Photos can be totally awkward frightening things, but JJ knows his shit, and it's not just about the gear he has. We ate cookies. We improvised light stands and colors. We all crammed into a tiny box that no one got locked into, not even once, I swear.

I started off trying to document the process (metaphotos!), but as you can see below, I gave up pretty quickly. I could say it's because JJ's a much better photographer than I am (true), or that I was stuck holding a gourd on a broom or else counting one-mississippi in the dark most of the time (also true), but really -- and maybe this is related to the gourd -- I was too busy having a good time to worry about documenting the documentation, or making sure the documentation was the exact thing the show is going to be, or what the hell even is this show going to be?????

It's a show about beautiful humans and created by beautiful humans. It's going to be gorgeous. Which is a great feeling to have going into a weekend of creating the next draft. #everyscriptisphotogenic

Bam! Improvised diffused light source and flash-stand-thing.


Cookies: the most important tool.


#gourdonabroom #longstory #whytohirearealphotographer

More pics to come, obvy.

Fundamental Frequencies
will premiere as part of the Blueprint Breakout Series
October 28 & 29, 2013
tickets available at the door or in advance with Indiegogo donation

No comments:

Post a Comment